Monday, November 28, 2011

Jig

Another conscious sedation surgery. There's a metaphor there somewhere: sleeping while awake. Or maybe in the new device that lives so close to my heart: an easier way in that seems to make me more fragile than ever.

The surgeon who put it in told me to manage any minor discomfort with over-the-counter acetaminophen. He didn't expect that I would spend the weekend worrying something was wrong, feeling like I got shot with a stupid little plastic bullet.

Friday after the surgery I slept for a few hours, and while I was dreaming some dreams my girlfriend slipped out to meet up with some friends. I was invited to this party, too, but naturally didn't feel up to going. I woke up and moped around the apartment in my pajamas until almost midnight, when I received a text:

"Heading to Banshee. Everyone would love to see you if you're feeling up to it."

I guess I'm proud to say I spent the morning on an operating table with my chest cut open, but at midnight, sore and bandaged, I winced my way to my favorite local pub and danced a jig with some drunk friends who did, in fact, seem very happy to see me.

I think we all felt the same: there's still dancing with cancer. You cut some losses but you don't let anything stop you.

I don't always go to bed early and sick. I don't always lie on the sofa nursing my wounds.

Positivity ranks low in my list of traits (seriously, I took a personality test that confirmed this), but stubbornness ranks really fucking high. So I won't beat cancer with happy thoughts. But I refuse to stop jigging until I am dead.

3 comments:

BobMarket said...

If i had cancer and a doctor told me to manage pain with acetaminophen i would say "Oh I'm sorry doctor, you must've thought I banged my elbow on a door frame, I HAVE FUCKING CANCER YOU CUNT. GIVE ME FUCKING VICODIN BEFORE I CANCER ALL OVER YOUR FACE AND YOUR CHILDREN GROW UP NEVER HAVING KNOWN THEIR FATHER."

Unknown said...

Right? "Oh I'm sorry, you must have confused me with the stubbed toe in bed 4. I'm the guy you just RIPPED OPEN WITH KNIVES." Douche.

BobMarket said...

LOL "I'm the guy you just ripped open with knives." I'm going to write a horror film around that line.