Friday, January 13, 2012

Partial Response

"Well, we do see a partial response, but not a complete response."

This or something like it was how one of the MGH oncologists that I saw on Wednesday (not my regular) began the conversation about my PET/CT results. I want to add that he was great and the "Oh fuck, why is my response not complete" moment was short-lived.

What he meant is that PET/CT scans show that I still have cancer. Not a huge disappointment, really, since I expected nothing less. This bloke is just that much more optimistic than I. He later added "Well of course I always hope for a complete response." Good point, really. I don't like to dream too big, you wake up one day broke with cancer.

ANYWAY. He would elaborate that what we're seeing is "significant partial response." Where cancer lit up dimly on the first PET from November, it's now gone. And where it was brightest it is now dim. Chemo, you bastard, you're actually doing it.

Had a cheeseburger tonight of all nights to celebrate. It put me to sleep for 6 hours and it will be hell to shit it out, but it tasted like victory. And Thousand Island dressing, which is my secret sauce.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Awesome news!! Hooray for partial responses and cheeseburgers:)

Darnell said...

Good on you for trying to share that oh shit feeling for writing that first! Came for a sinking feeling of dread and did not leave disappointed.