Friday, December 30, 2011

Can't Buy Me Love

There's nothing like cancer for when you're feeling low about yourself. Your body is trying to put you in a shitty mood daily. It's only natural that at some point, you look at your life and say "Well shit, I am almost thirty, totally broke and unsuccessful. And I somehow managed to get cancer. Like I sat on the wrong toilet seat, or smoked the wrong cigarette, or stood too close to the wrong microwave, or drank out of the wrong water bottle, or who even knows what the fuck."

But the odd thing is cancer has made something very clear to me that was not before. I have not completely fucked up my life. If I had, I would be like "Shit, I have cancer" and literally no one would care. Instead, all kinds of people are trying to help me and letting me know they give a damn. In terms of investment and return, it sort of seems like I've been making some good choices.

Like, metaphorically.

Obviously not with real money.

3 comments:

Rosalie said...

Agree x infinity. Obviously my struggles this year haven't been against rogue cells trying to murder me, but it's been a character building chunk of time that has taught me a lot about what/who is actually important to me. That's really something, eh? This year I learned a lot about gratitude and how incredibly selfless and generous my family (including the "likefamily") is.

Darnell said...

I, on the other hand, think you guys kind of suck but have balanced that out by being just really good at the other aspects of life.

Darnell said...

I mean really. Cancer? On Christmas? Tacky.